A Hammock that can be Folded or Stationary Hammock? Which is Better?
Your choice of a hammock really depends on how and where you will be using it. If you only want a sleeping area for your room as an alternative to your beds, a stationary hammock can be used.
They are much heavier and sometimes take 2 persons to assemble. These hammocks arrive in pieces and it would require you to refer to their instruction manual to put them together.
Although they can also be used on outdoor trips such as camping, they’d take a lot of time and more room in the car since their frames are a lot longer and stiffer.
If you tend to bring the hammock with your outings and you don’t want to spend a lot of time and energy carrying a heavy baggage and looking for the perfect parallel trees, a foldable hammock is much more convenient to use. They’re easier to carry, the frames don’t need to be assembled and disassembled in pieces, and they can be set up in literally a minute.
Hikers, campers, and those who love to always have a good time outdoors choose this type of hammock for they are much more efficient and time saver.
Is a Foldable Hammock Stand Safe and How do you Set it Up?
The instructions below are the general procedure in putting together a folding hammock; other brands might have different ways of installation. Please always refer to the manual that’s included in your purchase.
- Look for the perfect leveled surface or ground that you want your hammock to be placed on. Remove all the stones or twigs that might cause a bump or scratch to your hammock frame’s feet.
- Take out the hammock stand/frame in the carrying bag. Use your two hands as they are heavy and avoid dropping them on the ground as a great impact can cause the bolts and bearings to tear down.
- Place the frame in front of you vertically, with both its feet on the ground.
- Open them a little and carefully switch your hands to its holders that are located in between the legs. Proceed to open them slowly on the ground.
- When the frame is rightly placed, get the hammock bed and place its rope, chain, or eye hook on the frame’s hooks. If the frame has adjustable height setting for the hammock, place it on your desired amount of sag.
- Tighten all the hooks and chains and make sure that all the bolts, screws, or any attachment are fully secured before you lay on your hammock.
Closing the hammock takes this same process but in reverse, which means that instead of pushing back the frame to the ground, you pull it with its holders in a vertical position.
Taking Care of your Portable Folding Hammock
A folding hammock is not that difficult to maintain, it’s even one of the most low-maintenance hammocks. However, if you just let it stay dirty after a long period of time, problems can arrive and its durability won’t be the same as when you first got it.
Here are some ways of handling your folding hammock with care:
- Right after you’re done using it, always wipe the frame with a dry cloth to remove the dust and dirt on its feet. Do not let the mud dries on the frame as it can corrode the metal. Waiting for the mud to dry up before cleaning might be tempting but it can actually damage the surface over time especially if the feet are covered with plastic end caps.
- Do not store the frame or the hammock in the bag if they’re damp. We all know that a stored, damp fabric gets a nasty smell and eventually gets mold or mildew. Always see to it that you let your hammock to dry first before putting it away.
- Check all the joints of the collapsible frame for possible breaks or rust. Sometimes, plastic covers break eventually causing a sharp metal underneath to expose while the metal bearings corrode and can cause the fold to be rugged. Treat the metal to metal joints with oil regularly to maintain its smooth folding mechanism.
- Wash your hammock bed with water and mild soap. If you intend to machine wash it, always use the lowest speed with the lowest duration to avoid fraying the fabric.
Concluding this Best Foldable Hammock Stand Set Guide
Now that you know the tips and tricks in prolonging the quality of your folding hammock, it’s time to enjoy the day outside or plan your camping trip!